24.9.09

Health Warning



In the past two days countless articles have surfaced on the subject of the proposed French "health warning" which would appear on digitally altered adverts, billboards etc. The label would read retouched photograph aimed at changing person's physical appearance. I've read about four articles and have decided that I am for it. Not for the same reasons as Valérie Boyer but I think it would be interesting to know how many images in fashion magazines are real. In defense of artistic rite, I understand that part of the art of photography is creating an image, as opposed to merely capturing one, but I'm curious individual and would like to know more about what I consume.

This article raises the point that anorexia and every other eating disorder are not statistically caused by looking at ads and wanting to be that girl/guy and honestly, I am not that interested in eating disorders. I'm not insensitive to people suffering from them but I am generally uninterested in them. I am, however, very interested in fashion magazines. I am one of those people who reads/flips through 10 kilos of fashion magazines each month. Thus, knowing more about their content is only a plus in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment